Sunday, March 16, 2008

Leisure Time

Ahh leisure time...something I would love to have more of. It seems no matter how long some days feel there just aren’t enough hours in a day. Going to school full time and then off to work I usually don’t get a lot of free time and when I do I’m usually trying to catch up to all my errands or so exhausted that I just stay in bed. If I decide to watch tv, I usually watch comedy shows, the national geographic channel, or the discovery channel. When I get ready for school or to go to work I’ll watch tv for maybe a half hour or so and when I really have time maybe just a few hours.

I do spend some time on the internet, maybe 2 days out of the week, to just look up skin care products and ingredients for my future body butters that I plan on making and to do a little shopping. So out of a 168 hr week I spend about 49 sleeping (7hrs a night), 35 working, 15 in school, 14 getting ready, 12 commuting, leaves me with about 43 hrs free. Half of that I would say I spend watching tv or on the internet and some of the time left over studying and doing my homework and the rest of my time left, well I don’t even know what I do, which probably brings me the most joy cause I might be laying down resting.....o wait I’m probably running my errands at this point. One thing I do have time for is my family, we are always talking and joking around, my other activities don't get in the way of that.

Living in the city becomes so fast paced, that you never seem to have time to catch up to everything you need to do. The majority of people’s lives usually consist of work, so when we finally have that free time, what do we do, we shop. Shopping has become so addicting that even when we are broke we find a way to shop, by charging it on our magical plastic card. And speaking of plastic can you imagine all the damage we are doing to our environment with all this shopping. It’s just 1 shopping bag after another, after another, and after another, whether it’s big or small, we just keep on taking them, and whether it’s paper or plastic, it keeps hurting our environment, because all we do is throw them out and all the energy wasted on making them, becomes waste. Yes we all need to shop some time, but let’s be smart about it and at least bring our own bags and stop wasting the paper and plastic ones.

And when we’re not shopping on our leisure time, we’re usually doing something that’s wasting more energy, such as watching tv, listening to music, keeping all the lights on, doing the laundry and so on. So instead of having so many lights on lets turn off a few and use CFL bulbs instead as well as energy saving appliances, this will not only help out the environment, but it’ll save us some money too. I know many people who love to have the tv on muted, the radio on, and talk on the phone, all at the same time.....please just pick one, there is no need for all of that to be on, it’s pointless, by doing that your just helping the "Big Guys" and it’s just making your pockets smaller.

2 comments:

Ligia said...

Hi,
Your blog shows your personality. It seems that you really care about the environment and you are doing some things to help it. You have a lot of good ideas. It captured my attention because it appears that you have a lot of things to say. However, I think you need to develop them a little bit more by giving more details. For instance, in the first paragraph you are talking about TV and then you start talking about internet. It will be good if you separate them into different paragraphs. The font and the color are perfect for the background color you have. It makes it easy to read and it does not hurt the eyes. You have a great page. You have a beautiful picture with a description that captures the attention. Your About Me it is the perfect place at the top where it can be seem. Well, I don’t know you have 24 blogs, but I believe they include all the 23 that we are suppose to have.
Great Blog Page.

lisa said...

Hi Emily,
I would have to say your blog site is one of the better ones that I have seen. Your images are funny and meaningful. The color of your page is also very complimentary to the subject matter. You are expressing your ideas clearly and I can really get a sense of your passion for the environment which brings your personality to light. The only advice i can give you is to bring some more specific facts into your writting. I get your piont but i would like some more technical material to support it.
you do have links in your blog and its cool because not only do you tell people what is environmentaly friendly you bring them directly to the source thats great then we as the readers have no excuse on why we can not follow your advice.
everything is in the perfect position and you have the 23 blogs that we are required to have so it would be fair to say as I did early that you have a great blogger page. Maybe you can show me how to post pictures on my site.