Sunday, March 23, 2008

An Inconvenient Truth

One of the questions raised by An Inconvenient Truth is, how will you follow your passion? Mr. Gore sets a compelling example of someone who has used his education to address some of the most pressing problems facing the planet today. How will you use your education to make the world a better place?

I will try to talk to people about global warming and the things we can do to help our environment. I also encourage people to visit this website The Story of Stuff, which I found to be very helpful, interesting, and educating on showing us our status as consumers in the world and the effects and damage we contribute on a daily basis. Now that I know of the things we can do to help our environment I will be able to practice them more. I’ve never recycled even though I already knew about that, but it’s about time I do it.

Another thing many of us fail to realize is the toxins in our personal care products, such as shampoos, conditioners, body lotions and creams, our soaps, everything. These toxins are not only hazardous to our health, but to the environment as well. Many personal care and household products are made with a lot of fillers and synthetic chemicals, that are known to be irritants and can cause people to develop skin rashes and health issues, such as asthma, mental illnesses, reproductive problems and even cancer. Many of these chemicals also contaminate the water and air, causing pollution that is harmful to the environment, such as naptha, amyl acetate, formaldehyde, diglycol laurate, and many more chemicals. So by being aware of the products we use and the ingredients they contain, we can prevent these harmful effects and create a safer environment.

Here are some good sites to check out:
www.climatecrisis.net
I like this site, because it gives you evidence of global warming and ways you can take action against it.
www.energystar.gov
This is a good website, if your thinking about buying new appliances, becasue these will help save energy and money.
www.newdream.org/junkmail
Want to end your junk mail, here's how to rid your name from the mailing list.
www.hybridcars.com
Need I say more.

2 comments:

playablue said...

I have to admit it, I never thought about my shampoo or conditioner as a bio-hazardous product.... but I know it is. Anyway, personal note here-> I have to say I am kind of bias on my decision on whether to continue to use it or not. It took me so long aas a child to find that one shampoo (Head and Shoulders)that actually worked for my hair and actually got rid of the dandruff. I think we need a government sponsor of Green ecological companies that has the only directive of creating reusable items....including shampoo.

Anallely said...

O my GOd!!!! that about the chemicals in the care products is scary.. I knew theere were chemicals in those products butdin't knew they were hazardous. Also, I thinks it's a bad idea to put this chemicals in this products because aside from affecting us it affects the environment. The problems is that it is not only one chemical IT'S MANNYY!!! It's good that you posted this info.