Sunday, April 13, 2008

Reflection

Signing up for this class, I thought... ok here's another boring seminar class and all we were going to do is talk about our major and be assigned some boring stuff. So on the first day of class I wasn't excited and then when I walked in and you told us we were going to talk about the environment, my whole attitude changed. 

I have always been concerned with environment and global warming, but wanted to learn more about it. Your assignments and readings have really helped. I remember the first one was to talk about 10 things we did that morning and all of the effects each one had on the environment. That helped a lot of us, because there were a lot of little things we saw that we were doing that affected the environment in a negative way. 

Then you played an Inconvenient Truth for us and went through the book as well, and this showed us evidence and statistical data of what is happening to the world. I think everyone needs to see that, because most people don't want to face the facts of global warming and just want to dismiss the idea out of fear or pure selfishness. 

The Story of Stuff was also good to watch. It really showed us the affects we have as consumers and that not only our the products many of us use, bad for us, but also bad for the environment, which I must admit I didn't really think about at first. Not only are we hurting ourselves and the environment with these products, but we are also bringing in the demand for them which is hurting the people who have to work in these factories with these toxic chemicals and have no other option. 

Although I never just dismissed the idea of global warming and care for OUR environment, I didn't do as much as I could. Since this class I have bought recycled notebooks, envirosax bags, which I take to go shopping so that I won't waste paper or plastic bags, and I am even looking at green events. 

Going green can be a fun cool thing you just have think positive about it and encourage others to do it with you. Everyone says... oh once person is not going to save the planet, well if everyone thinks like that it won't, but if people start doing this together that one person can make a big difference. And just maybe we'll still have our planet and then we can all be proud to say we helped save her. 


No comments: